Holiday Pumpkin Trimtastic Roll (S)
This pumpkin roll cake is great to keep in the freezer for a quick holiday or seasonal dessert for family or unexpected guests, to take to a gathering, or to give as a yummy gift. It will be a crowd pleaser, even for those who are not on the Trim Healthy Mama eating plan! This recipe is found on page 393 of the Trim Healthy Table Cookbook.
For the Cake…
– THM Gentle Sweet (for sprinkling)
– 1/2 medium or 1 very small zucchini (yield 1/2 to 3/4 cup processed)
– 3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
– 4 large eggs
– 4 TBSP butter (1/2 stick butter)
– 3/4 to 1 cup THM Baking Blend (*Please see Recipe Notes for a NSI option.)
– 3/4 cup THM Gentle Sweet (*Please see Recipe Notes for a NSI option.)
– 1/8 tsp THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder (or, to taste) (*Please see Recipe Notes for a NSI option.)
– 1 & 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 2 pinches mineral salt
– 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
– 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
For the Cream Cheese Filling…
– 1 package 1/3 less fat cream cheese (8-oz package)
– 4 TBSP softened butter (1/2 stick butter)
– 3 to 4 TBSP THM Gentle Sweet (to taste)
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350∞F. Line a 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan with parchment paper. Sprinkle a clean thin tea towel (or thin dish towel) with Gentle Sweet and set aside for rolling the cake.
2. Trim the zucchini and chop into a few chunks. Pulse in a food processor so it is not mush, but broken down well into very tiny pieces. Add the pumpkin, eggs, butter, Baking Blend, sweeteners, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice and process until well combined.
3. Spread the batter evenly onto the prepared jelly-roll pan. If opting to use the nuts, sprinkle over the batter. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the top of the cake springs back when touched. (Dark-colored pans tend to cook faster.)
4. Immediately turn the cake onto the prepared towel. Carefully peel off the parchment paper. Roll the cake and towel together, starting at a narrow end. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack. (Youíll want to allow the cake to cool completely as to avoid cracking later while filling.)
5. While the cake is cooling, make the filling. Beat together the cream cheese, butter, Gentle Sweet, and vanilla until smooth. Set aside.
6. Carefully unroll the completely cooled cake and spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake. Re-roll the cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and then in foil. Best if placed in the freezer.
7. Remove from the freezer a couple hours before serving. Cut the roll into slices.
For NSI (No Special Ingredients):
– Replace the THM Baking Blend with the frugal flour option. (Page 40 of Trim Healthy Table.)
– Replace the THM Gentle Sweet and THM Pure Stevia Extract Powder with an on-plan, store-bought sweetener.
The Holiday Pumpkin Trimtastic Roll recipe and other delicious THM recipes can be found at www.TrimHealthyMembership.com