Chicken and Sweet Potato Chili (E)
This recipe was given to us by the “Mayor of Trimville”, our Trim Healthy Community Manager, Jessica Myers. Wondering what to with that leftover chicken or turkey? Here’s a fun idea with a whole different flavor profile than traditional chicken soup. This is a super healthy recipe that requires no special ingredients and is very easy to pull together. We all love our healthy fats, but sometimes some nourishing and nurturing E soups can feel just right. This recipe keeps the fats low and celebrates the carbs in the sweet potatoes and black beans.
Serving Size: Multiple-serve; Approximately 8 people
– 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
– 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
– 1 large onion, diced
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 3 Tablespoons chili powder
– 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
– 1 & 1/2 to 1 & 3/4 teaspoons Mineral Salt
– 5 cups water
– 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed
– 2 (14-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
– 3 cups pre-cooked, diced chicken breast (or turkey breast)
– Juice of 2 limes
– 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
– 0% Greek yogurt (optional)
– Garnish amount part-skim mozzarella
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion is beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add water and bring to a gentle boil. Cover, reduce heat to simmer and continue cooking until the sweet potato is tender – about 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Add pre-cooked chicken, beans, tomatoes, and lime juice. Continue to simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and top each serving with cilantro, yogurt, and cheese, if desired.
If you do not have pre-cooked chicken, you can add uncooked chunks of chicken breast to the pot at the same time as the sweet potatoes and onions to cook alongside. You may need to add 5 to 10 minutes to the cooking time before adding the beans and additional ingredients.
The Chicken and Sweet Potato Chili recipe and other delicious THM recipes can be found at www.TrimHealthyMembership.com