Creamy Turkey and Wild Rice Soup (E)
Gather the family around – it’s soup night! Down with small portions of flavorless, diet broth. Let’s eat hearty, delicious, comfort food and get our bellies filled! Hereís a wonderful recipe from Rohnda Monroy, our very clever and creative friend who has taken all the wonderful pictures in the Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook and Trim Healthy Table Cookbook. Sheís a flat out Trim Healthy wizard in the kitchen. This recipe was originally written for chicken but leftover holiday turkey will be just as yummy!
– 2-16 oz bags frozen cauliflower (or, 1 large fresh head, cut into florets)
– 2 & 1/2 quarts chicken broth
– 3 to 4 cups chopped carrots
– 3 to 4 cups cups chopped celery
– 1 large onion (diced or sliced) or (1 & 1/2 cups Seasoning Blend: onions, celery, peppers, frozen, diced)
– 3/4 cup wild rice
– 3 tsp mineral salt
– 1 tsp black pepper
– 1 & 1/2 tsp dried thyme
– 3 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese
– 4 to 5 cups diced, leftover holiday turkey breast (or, cooked chicken breast)
1. Put the cauliflower and broth in a soup pot over high heat and bring to a quick boil. Turn the heat down a little and simmer until the cauliflower is tender (takes just a few minutes). Scoop out the cauliflower with a slotted spoon or strainer. Put the cauliflower into a blender with 2 cups of the broth and set aside.
2. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and wild rice to the soup pot along with the salt, pepper, and thyme and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. You want the veggies to be tender and the wild rice to begin breaking open.
3. Add the cream cheese to the blender and puree for 1 minute or until smooth. Transfer to the soup pot, stirring well.
4. Add the chicken and simmer the soup for another 15 to 20 minutes. The rice will break apart and soak up all the flavor and more of the liquid. Combine all ingredients well and heat through. (You can simmer for a few minutes but you donít have to. As soon as soup is hot, it is done.) Check the seasonings and serve.
The Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup and other delicious THM recipes can be found at www.TrimHealthyMembership.com