Taco Salad Crunch (E)
Taco Salad Crunch is NOT boring…. it’s the full deal, flavor, crunch, beautiful! Low fat and gluten free too! This Taco Salad Crunch recipe is brought to us by Sarah Criddle, who is our Featured Blogger for this edition of the Trim Healthy Living EZine. Sarah is a favorite blogger to many of our mamas and her recipes have proven to be THM community favorites time and time again. This and other delicious THM friendly recipes can be found at www.MrsCriddlesKitchen.com.
Serving Size: Approximately 6
Ingredients for the salad:
-2 lbs *ground meat, cooked (*See instruction #1.)
-Taco seasoning of choice
-1 can of drained black beans
-1 can of drained pinto beans
-1 can of drained corn
-1/2 a head of lettuce
-1/3 cup of diced red onion
-24 baked blue corn tortilla chips crunched slightly
(If you do not have any of the baked blue tortillas, you can toast up either low-carb tortillas, sprouted tortillas, Joseph’s lavash breads or pitas, or even add a few crunched up Wasa crackers.)
Ingredients for the Italian dressing:
-1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
-3 Tablespoons white vinegar
-1/2 teaspoon of salt
-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
-1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
-1/2 teaspoon of lemon pepper (or just plain pepper)
-1/4 teaspoon of THM Sweet Blend or 1/2 teaspoon Truvia or Pyure Stevia
(If using xylitol, add 1 teaspoon. If using liquid stevia, add 1/2 a dropper full, which is what I used.)
- Brown the ground meat. (*If the meat you are using is not at least 96% lean, brown the meat and then place the crumbles into a colander. Rinse well under very hot water to release all the fat.)
- Allow the meat to sit and cool slightly.
- Drain the cans of beans and corn.
- Put ground meat, beans, and corn into a big bowl.
- Cut up lettuce, tomatoes, and red onion.
- Mix up the Italian Dressing.
- Add the salad veggies to the meat, beans, and corn.
- Pour Italian Dressing over and mix.
- Add in the crunched chips and serve!
The Taco Salad Crunch recipe and other delicious THM recipes can be found at www.TrimHealthyMembership.com.