Hack Your Ground Beef (S or FP)
*NOTE: This is one of the 6 Helpful Hacks that you will find in the Veggieful Ultra-Trimming Menu in the member site.
This “hack” will make your ground beef healthier, make it less expensive, and yummier! Serene calls that a “Triple YAY”! Pearl’s secret ingredient in this recipe is mushrooms. Mushrooms have incredible health benefits that help your heart, help to prevent cancer, and they are full of antioxidants and a certain lectin that is good for you.
Serving Size: Multiple-serve
SOME THINGS TO TAKE NOTE OF:
– Note 1: Be sure to pull your mushrooms out of the fridge and put them on a window ledge that receives sunlight for a couple hours before cooking. This boosts their vitamin D level from zero (cold fridge temperatures reduce vitamin D to zero) to upwards of 800 – 1,000 according to studies.
– Note 2: This ingredient list calls for 2 pounds ground beef and 1 pound (16-ounces) mushrooms but you could decrease to 1 pound beef and 8-ounces mushrooms. (Or increase amounts further, according to the needs of your family for the week.) For the ìExtreme Hackî version, you will use 1 full pound of mushrooms for each pound of beef. So for the extreme version, if using 2 pounds beef… you would also use 2 pounds mushrooms.
– 2 pounds Ground Beef (or other ground meat such as turkey or venison)
– 1 pound (16-ounces) fresh Mushrooms
– 2 Tablespoons Chili powder (generous chili powder to taste or 1 Tablespoon per pound of ground beef)
– 1 Tablespoon Cumin (generous cumin to taste; or 1/2 Tablespoon per pound of ground beef – roughly half as much as chili powder)
– Mineral Salt (to taste)
1. Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat until almost cooked, a little pink but mostly brown.
2. Drain the fat from the meat if not using grass-fed meat. You can leave a little bit of fat in the pan if you would like.
3. Place the fresh mushrooms into a food processor and pulse them until they are in tiny bits, approximately 6-8 pulses or to your liking.
4. Add the processed mushrooms to the ground beef and stir to combine. Allow that mixture to cook down for approximately 5-6 minutes.
5. Add the chili powder, cumin, and mineral salt and stir to combine well.
6. Continue to cook until all of the fluid in the pan evaporates, or if you like your meat mixture to have a little bit of fluid stop the cooking process now.
RECIPE NOTES & SUGGESTIONS:
– For a Fuel Pull version of this meat use lean ground turkey or grass-fed, ground beef. (If the ground meat is not 96-99% lean: brown, drain, and rinse with hot water ñ use up to 4-ounces.)
– Mushrooms are a resistant starch and they help form that nice good bacteria bed that help you digest your food.
– Mushrooms have incredible health benefits that help your heart. They are powerful to help prevent cancer, are full of antioxidants, and a certain lectin that is good for you!
– Three mushrooms per day will help you!
– Use this cooked ground meat for your taco salads, in your casseroles and stir-fry’s, in any of the Hangry Meals that call for pre-cooked meat, or even to top your salads.
– Two pounds of ground beef and 1 pound of mushrooms were used in the video.