Pumpkin Bam Cake (E)
“Pumpkin Bam Cake” is a delicious variation of the amazingly popular “Bust a Myth” banana cake… lovingly called BAM from the Trim Healthy Cookbook. The Pumpkin Bam Cake is the perfect addition to your Autumn table.
Serving Size: Multiple-serve
For the Cake…
– Coconut oil cooking spray
– 1 cup egg whites (carton or fresh)
– 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar, or 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional; see Recipe Note)
– 2 & 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
– 1 (15-ounce) can pure pumpkin puree
– 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
– 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
– Scant 1/4 teaspoon Mineral Salt
– 2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 cup THM Gentle Sweet plus 2 to 4 doonks THM Pure Stevia Extra Powder
– 1 cup plain 0% Greek yogurt
For the Glosting…
– 2 Tablespoons 1/3 less fat cream cheese
– 2 heaping Tablespoons plain 0% Greek yogurt
– 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
– 2 to 3 Tablespoons THM Gentle Sweet
– 2 teaspoons unsweetened cashew or almond milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly coat an 8-inch square or a 9×13-inch baking dish with coconut oil cooking spray.
2. In a bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar or xanthan gum (if using) until soft peaks form. (Please see the Recipe Notes area concerning beating the egg whites.)
3. Measure out 1/2 cup of the oats and set aside. In a blender, grind the remaining 2 cups of oats into a flour. In another bowl, add the whole oats, ground oats, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, salt, baking powder, baking soda, sweetener, and yogurt and mix well. Finally, fold in the egg whites.
4. Pour the batter into a prepared pan and bake until golden brown on top. Approximately 35 to 40 minutes for a 9×13-inch baking dish or approximately 45 to 50 minutes for an 8-inch square baking dish. (Please see the Recipe Notes area concerning the size of your baking dish.)
5. Allow the cake to cool completely.
6. Make the Glosting. Whisk the ingredients together. Frost the cooled cake.
– You can also prepare this the original BAM way and not bother to beat the egg whites. Simply mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
– The Pumpkin Bam Cake is a dense cake, which is lovely if you like that sort of texture. If you prefer your cake to be less dense, separate the batter into two smaller baking pans or use a 9×13-inch baking dish. If baking in a 9×13, you could then choose to cut the cooled cake in half and layer it. Layering the cake will require more Glosting than is called for above, as you’ll want to frost the layer as well. Use the following measurements for your Glosting, if layering the cake. This will safely keep your cake in the ‘E-zone’. Use 3 Tablespoons of the 1/3 less fat cream cheese, 1/2 cup 0% Greek yogurt, 3/4 teaspoon vanilla, 1/4 cup Gentle Sweet, and 1 Tablespoon of the nut milk.
The Pumpkin Bam Cake recipe and other delicious THM recipes can be found at www.TrimHealthyMembership.com