Zapple Crumble (S)
Our friend, Amelia, brought this treat over to us one recent afternoon, and we swooned over it. We could barely tell it wasn’t made with apples—oh, so close to the real thing, but made with zucchini! Hence the Zapple title. Since it is an S, we all indulged in some heavy cream poured over it – divine!
Serving Size: Multiple-serve
For the Zapple Filling…
– Coconut oil spray (optional)
– 5 medium zucchini (peeled, seeded, and sliced)
– 2 & 1/2 cups water
– Juice of 1 large lemon or 2 small lemons
– 1/2 teaspoon THM Glucomannan (“gluccie”)
– 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1 & 1/2 teaspoon THM Natural Burst Vanilla extract
– 2 Tablespoons THM Gentle Sweet
For the Crumble Topping…
– 1 cup THM Baking Blend (or, 1/2 cup golden flax meal & 1/2 cup coconut flour)
– 3 Tablespoons butter or extra virgin coconut oil
– 2 pinches Mineral Salt
– 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
– 2 & 1/2 Tablespoons THM Gentle Sweet
– Generous 1/2 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut flakes
– 1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly coat an 8-inch square pan or a 7 × 9-inch baking pan with coconut oil spray.
2. Make the Zapple. Put the zucchini, water, and lemon juice into a large saucepan and bring to a quick boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, bubbling gently, for 12 to 15 minutes.
3. Push the zucchini to the side of the saucepan and whisk like mad while sprinkling the Gluccie in slowly from a shaker so it does not clump. Whisk for another minute, then add the cinnamon, vanilla, and sweetener; stir well. Pour into the prepared pan.
4. Make the topping. Put the Baking Blend, butter, salt, cinnamon, and Gentle Sweet into a food processor and process for about 1 minute. Add the coconut and nuts, and pulse until they get chopped a bit more but not completely pulverized.
5. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the Zapple and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow the baked dish to sit for at least 10 minutes before enjoying.
The Zapple Crumble recipe and other delicious THM recipes can be found at www.TrimHealthyMembership.com